A week after Chris Beckett won the Clarke Award, along comes the new shortlist for the award he won a few years ago, the Edge Hill Short Story Prize (there’s a former Clarke winner on this year’s Edge Hill shortlist, too). It is, I think, a cracking list:
- Kevin Barry – Dark Lies The Island (Jonathan Cape)
- Emma Donoghue – Astray (Pan Macmillan)
- Adam Marek – The Stone Thrower (Comma Press)
- Jon McGregor – This Isn’t The Sort Of Thing That Happens To Someone Like You (Bloomsbury)
- Jane Rogers – Hitting Trees With Sticks (Comma Press)
- Lucy Wood – Diving Belles (Bloomsbury)
That’s a really strong set of writers. The only one of the books I’ve read to date is Diving Belles (which I loved); you can read my review by clicking on the link above. I’m aiming to read and blog as many of the rest as possible before the winner is announced on 4 July. I hope (expect, even) to discover some extraordinary stories.